Dr. Rick Kapitan is a board-certified cleft and craniofacial surgeon with an ABOMS CAQ in Pediatric Craniomaxillofacial Surgery. He specializes in cleft lip/palate surgery, orthognathic surgery, facial trauma repair, and dental implants.
About Dr. Rick Kapitan
Dr. Kapitan holds both a doctorate in surgery and masters of science degrees, as well as advanced training as a specialist in surgery and anesthesia (OMS) from The Ohio State University Medical Center. His resume also includes Basic Life Support, Advanced Cardiac Life Support, and Pediatric Advanced Life Support certification.
Dr. Kapitan is a Diplomate of the American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, a Fellow of the American Association of OMS, and is a member of both the North Carolina Society of OMS and the Southeastern Society of OMS. He holds appointments as Adjunct Faculty in the Department of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery at both Louisiana State University (LSU) and the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill (UNC). Locally, he is the Director of both the Carolinas Center for Cleft Lip & Palate Surgery and of the Envision™ Implant Academy, positions that both involve speaking to groups of practitioners and extensive clinical instruction in surgery. Additionally, Dr. Kapitan is a national lecturer and clinical course instructor in advanced dental implant surgery for Zimmer BioMet’s Zimmer Institute. Internationally, Dr. Kapitan is a volunteer cleft surgeon, surgical team leader, and sits on the Board of Directors of the Free To Smile Foundation; a not-for-profit medical mission group that provides free cleft lip and palate surgeries to children in need around the globe. Dr. Kapitan devotes 4 weeks annually to travel abroad to Central America, South America, and Africa to provide this much-needed surgery free of charge.
Education and Residency
Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS), Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Residency, and Master of Science (MS)—The Ohio State University
Amazing 5-Star Reviews
- Certificate of Added Qualification (CAQ) in Pediatric Craniomaxillofacial Surgery
- Fellow of the American College of Surgeons (FACS)
- Fellow of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons (AAOMS)
- Fellow of the American College of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons (ACOMS)
- Director of the Carolinas Center for Cleft Lip & Palate Surgery
- Department Chair of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at Novant Medical Center
- Adjunct Faculty in the Department of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery
- Louisiana State University (LSU)
- Adjunct Faculty in the Department of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill (UNC)
On a personal level, Dr. Kapitan enjoys camping, hunting and fishing with his family. He lives on a family farm that he operates with the help of his family in Weddington NC, and is an active member at Nativity Orthodox Christian Church in Charlotte, NC.