About Dr. Christopher Abernathy
Dr. Christopher Abernathy was born and raised in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. He attended East Carolina University, where he graduated Cum Laude.
Dr. Abernathy continued his education at Tufts University School of Dental Medicine in Boston, Massachusetts. During his time there, he was awarded the Hunt Scholarship for academic excellence as well as the Tufts Outstanding Senior Award and the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons Dental Student Award for outstanding achievement and performance in undergraduate Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. Dr Abernathy was very involved in outreach oral surgery clinics in the Boston area.
Dr. Abernathy furthered his education towards Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery by completing his Internship at New York Presbyterian Weill-Cornell Medical Center in New York. He went on to complete his 4-year Oral and Maxillofacial surgical training at Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond, Virginia.
As part of the family at Carolinas Center for Oral and Facial Surgery, Dr. Abernathy has continued his professional education in many ways. He has particular passions for his surgical mission work both in the United States and abroad. Although a full scope trained and Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon, has particular concentrations and enhanced training in Wisdom Teeth, Dental Implants, bone grafting, TMJ surgery, and Cosmetics.
Education and Residency
- BA in English with concentrations in Chemistry, Biology, and Political Science—East Carolina University
- Doctor of Dental Medicine (DMD)—Tufts University School of Dental Medicine
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Internship—NewYork-Presbyterian Weill Cornell
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Residency and General Surgery Internship–Virginia Commonwealth University/MCV
Amazing 5-Star Reviews
Dr. Abernathy practices at our Blakeney office in Charlotte and at our Matthews office.
- American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons (AAOMS)
- American Dental Association (ADA)
- North Carolina Dental Society
- Certified in Basic Life Support (BLS), Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS), Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support (ACLS), and Advanced Trauma Life Support (ATLS)
Outside of work, Dr. Abernathy enjoys spending time with his wife Josie, as well as the outdoors. He is an avid snowboarder, enjoys traveling, and enjoys global outreach surgery. He was awarded the American Academy of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons’ Humanitarian Award in 2019 for his various outreach endeavors.