Instructions for General Anesthesia/IV SedationBACK
Before Your Surgery
- You must have nothing to eat or drink, not even water, for 6 hours before surgery. (If you have been advised by your doctor to take any medication before your surgery, you may have a small amount of water to do so.)
- Brush your teeth prior to your appointment (be sure to not swallow any water).
- Wear loose and comfortable clothes. Be sure to wear short sleeves or a shirt that the sleeves can be easily rolled up past the elbow.
- Do not wear fingernail polish or lipstick.
- You must have a responsible adult waiting for you in the waiting room during the entire surgical procedure or we will not perform the surgery.
After Your Surgery
- Rest at home for the remainder of the day. DO NOT DRIVE! Plan to take the following 1–3 days off from work or school.
- Eat soft foods and clear liquids for the first 24 hours following surgery. Examples include soup, JELL-O®, mashed potatoes, etc. DO NOT DRINK FROM A STRAW!
- Avoid alcohol and tobacco for 1 week following surgery.
- Avoid mouth rinses that contain alcohol.
- Your doctor or their assistant will give you a detailed list of instructions for you to take home on the day of your surgery. These instructions will be reviewed carefully with your guardian that day. They will be given the opportunity to ask any questions they may have.
- You should have a responsible adult remain at home with you for 24 hours after your procedure.