The breakdown of collagen is a natural part of the aging process. Collagen is a protein found throughout the body, especially in the skin, and is responsible for the skin’s firmness and elasticity. When collagen breaks down, fine lines and wrinkles appear. Many of the signs of aging are connected to the loss of facial volume.
Thankfully, there are many safe and effective treatments to restore volume to the face, including FDA-approved dermal filler (facial filler) injections. According to the American Board of Cosmetic Surgery, over 1 million men and women receive facial fillers every year. Our board-certified oral and cosmetic surgeon, Dr. Waheed Mohamed, will ensure you have an outstanding experience and achieve all of your cosmetic goals through the variety of services we offer.
Benefits of Facial Fillers
People receive fillers for many needs, ranging from the desire to have smoother skin or wanting more symmetrical facial features. A large benefit of this treatment is that it can be customized to match your needs. Your specialist will determine the exact area and amount of filler to use, creating personalized results you will enjoy. There are many benefits of facial fillers, including:
- Improve lines around the nose and mouth
- Restore volume to sunken temples or cheeks
- Reduce the appearance of vertical lip lines
- Plump and smooth out the lips
- Improve facial symmetry
- Minimally invasive
- No downtime
To find out how we can make your cosmetic dreams a reality, contact our team in Charlotte, North Carolina, today.
How Do Dermal Fillers Work?
Injectable fillers are gel-like substances injected under the skin to provide more volume. Facial fillers can improve contours of the face, smooth wrinkles, and result in an overall younger-looking appearance. The ingredients inside a filler can safely dissolve into the body following treatment, or remain below the skin indefinitely, depending on the type of filler you choose. A licensed cosmetology professional should only perform this treatment, such as those at Carolinas Center for Cosmetic Surgery.
What Are Injectable Fillers Made Of?
Soft tissue fillers are categorized based on what they’re made of. The type used for your treatment will be determined on the results you desire and how long you wish results to last. Fillers can be made of:
- Hyaluronic Acid (HA). This naturally occurring substance is found in the skin. The body will gradually and safely absorb the contents of the filler in 6-12 months after insertion. Examples of FDA-approved HA fillers include JUVÉDERM®, Restylane®, and Belotero Balance®.
- Calcium Hydroxylapatite (CaHA). Calcium hydroxylapatite is a naturally occurring substance found in bones. Calcium particles are suspended in the gel, creating a thicker consistency and providing more long-term results of over 12 months. Radiesse® is an FDA-approved CaHA filler.
- Poly-L-lactic Acid. This synthetic, biodegradable material is safe to use in the body and is classified as “collagen stimulators”. The gel will dissolve a few days after treatment, but the results can last up to 2 years. Sculptra® Aesthetic is an FDA-approved Poly-L-lactic Acid filler.
- Polymethylmethacrylate (PMMA). This biocompatible material is sphere-like and sits below the skin indefinitely for continuous results. Bellafill® is an FDA-approved PMMA filler.
- Autologous Fat Injections (Fat Grafting). This treatment requires surgery, but results last for many years. Your own fat is harvested, purified, and inserted into the areas where more volume is desired.
Say Goodbye to Wrinkles, Lines, and Creases With Our Many Filler Options in Charlotte, NC
Belotero Balance is an injectable prescription filler intended to smooth out moderate to severe nasolabial folds (the lines from the nose to the mouth) and vertical lip lines. Belotero Balance is an ideal treatment for these delicate areas and provides effective and temporary smoothness.
Restylane corrects moderate to several facial wrinkles, including “smile lines” and folds between the eyebrows. As an injectable gel filler, it can increase fullness in the lips and cheeks.
JUVÉDERM XC is an injectable gel filler that smooths lines and wrinkles around the mouth, with results that can last up to 1 year. Similar to Restylane, JUVÉDERM is a safe and effective method of rejuvenating your appearance.
Radiesse is injected directly into the dermal area where more fullness is desired, such as smile lines, jowls, and cheeks. Patients can enjoy a younger-looking appearance immediately, with results that can last up to 1 year. We do not recommend it as a lip filler.
The Dermal Filler Procedure
When you visit us, our specialists will evaluate your skin type, condition, and determine if fillers can help achieve your cosmetic goals. Side effects are possible with any treatment, but they are often rare for this procedure. Be sure to inform your specialist of any medical conditions or allergic reactions to chemicals and medicines.
At the time of your filler appointment, your specialist will clean the face. Although the needles are very fine, we may use a topical anesthetic cream prior to treatment. Many fillers contain lidocaine, a numbing agent, for enhanced comfort. Your specialist will insert a precise amount of the filler beneath the skin in the targeted areas.
Some mild bruising and swelling is normal following treatment. This is not a major medical procedure, and there is no downtime. If you need to follow any specific instructions, our team will inform you of these before you leave the office.
Lip Fillers in Charlotte, NC
If you desire fuller-looking lips with lasting results, lip fillers may be your solution. Lip fillers involve a specialist injecting a filler into the lips. The amount of gel can be adjusted to meet your vision and you will see results right away. Lip fillers are slightly more invasive than a lip flip, which is a lip injection using BOTOX®, but results will last longer. Learn more about lip flips on our Botulinum Toxins page.
- Longer-lasting results, up to a year
- Fillers are made from safe acid naturally found in the body
- Adjustable treatment to meet your goals
- Immediate results
- Minimal downtime
Lip Filler Cost, Results, and Aftercare
The cost of a lip filler will depend on your desired results and how often you undergo treatment. When you receive a lip filler, we will apply a topical anesthetic to the lips and possibly a local anesthetic. Once numb, we will inject the filler directly into the lips. One treatment takes less than 30 minutes.
The lips may be swollen, which you can manage with an ice pack wrapped in cloth. Stay hydrated and avoid strenuous activity for 24–48 hours, or as recommended by your specialist. Remember that the swelling after your injection does not equal your results. The final results will appear once swelling subsides and the lips have settled. Swelling will improve around day three and the lips should be fully settled in by week four.