April is Oral Cancer Awareness Month. In collaboration with Always April, a national partnership of oral surgery practices across the country that strives to bring oral cancer awareness into a year-round discussion, we are providing a free oral cancer screening event. At Carolinas Center for Oral & Facial Surgery, we believe in the importance of early detection, and we want to ensure that everyone in our community has this opportunity to be screened and to learn more about oral cancer.
- Oral cancer is rising in women, young people and non-smokers.
- At least 25% of oral cancer victims have no known risk factors.
- Oral cancer kills about as many Americans as melanoma and twice as many as cervical cancer.
- Oral cancer is one of the most common, yet most preventable, cancers. When detected early, the 5-year relative survival rate is approximately 81%.
- Oral cancer is a global challenge with more than 657,000 cases and nearly 330,000 deaths each year.